Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Phanatic goes Starry Night!


Starry Night is one of the most well known paintings of Vincent van Gogh.  I'm not nor was I ever an Art History Major.  I can only draw stick figures successfully as my sister can attest to this fact so please keep this in mind as I explain my thoughts on van Gogh's Stary Night. 

This beatuiful painting reminds me of a story, not any story in particular, but one of protection.  You see I have always thought the large struture in the forefront was a representation for someone or something bad about to happen that would prey on the sleepy and charming town below but the large and foreboding struture seems to be fading, almost falling a bit as the swirling clouds, cresent moon and stars ablazed in their glory illuminate the night to fight off the evil thing and save the towns people. 


Who would have ever though that Philadelphia would have its own Phanatic van Gogh waiting for us to protect those that enter Rittenhouse Square to guarantee them a moment of peace away from their jobs. :) 





Notice the swirling clouds on his belly and arms which are derived from the van Gogh's original but take special care and inspect the stars afire on our Phanatic, they are none other than our Philadelphia Phillies! 

Starry Night - Profile

Mom I know you love the Phanatic in green but I must admit I'm completely in love with him sporting my favorite color, blue.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention I snapped a photo of his tail. 



I think Phanatic van Gogh is my favorite so far.  2 down, 18 to go.....

3 comments:

Jenny Citino said...

Love your thoughts about the original painting and the Phanatic remake :) He's definitely a beauty. I can't wait to see the rest!

Frank said...

That is one of my favorite paintings of all time! And now the Phanatic is all done up in the same beautiful colors! Not as good looking as the green I think but not bad either. I agree with sister, your comments about the original painting and the remake are spot on. Love it! Can't wait for the rest.

Love you!

mom said...

I love it. I think you are doing a great job. I like the Phanatic any way he looks just like my Kermit. Thanks love for all your wonderful work.